The history of Glashütte began in 1845, when Ferdinand Adolph Lange was granted a state loan and established the first Glashütte watch manufactory. He received a lot of help and support from his previous teachers and colleagues Ernest Kasiske, Ludwig Strasser and Ludwig Strasser, who all became partners with him.
After Ferdinand Adolph Lange's death in 1875, the Deutsche Uhrmacherschule was founded by Moritz Grossman, also connected with Glashütte. This led to Glashütte's growth and success. The company became well-known and prestigeous manufacturer of high-quality traditional mechanical watches, that were also innovative and modern.
Glashütte realised, that not everybody could afford purchasing high quality timepieces produced by the company. As a result the company, with Johannes Dürrstein, decided to establish Glashütter Uhrenfabrik UNION in 1893. This ment that they were able to produce less expensive Glashütte watches by applying non-precious metals, while maintaining the same high quality the company was known for.
Several workshops and watch manufactories opened in the same area, and many of these watchmakers co-operated with each other. The name Glashutte Original appeared in 1921. During the World War II, Glashütte was classified as part of the war industries, and after the war, many of the companies were expropriated by the Russians.
The changes in economical and political situation led to the fact that the majority of the watch producers in the Glashütte-area were united into a single conglomerate in 1951, the VEB Glashütter Uhrenbetriebe. As a result of the German reunification in 1990, Glashütte could take over its old facilities and retake its position as a respected watch manufacturer. The launch of Karree, Glashutte's rectangular wristwatch, marked the rebirth of the company as one of the worlds leading watch manufacturers.